the UTF President
& Board Chair
Dear Friends of The University of Toledo,
It’s been 25 years since the UT Corporation and UT Alumni Foundation merged to form the UT Foundation, the official philanthropic partner of The University of Toledo. While the UT Foundation has continued to grow and evolve, what has remained the same is the organization’s steadfast tradition of supporting UT’s mission and objectives.
In fiscal year 2015, the UT Foundation surpassed its investment benchmark of .6 percent, with a 2.3 percent return. Because the Foundation invests in perpetuity, however, our long-term returns remain the primary focus. The Foundation’s five-year annualized return is 11.3 percent, exceeding its benchmark of 9.1 percent, and the average since January of 1994 is a healthy 8.5 percent, compared to a benchmark of 7.0 percent.
Together, through your generous contributions and the Foundation’s stewardship, we provided $16.4 million for scholarships, programs, capital projects, healthcare, and research.
Meanwhile, the UT Foundation took several steps in the last year to improve efficiency and customer service, including:
- the establishment of the UT Guild, to honor donors with 20 or more years of giving
- a tiered, sliding administrative fee resulting in more than $40,000 in increased spending for the donor-designated purposes of its largest endowments
- consolidated year-end receipts for donors giving through multiple vehicles, such as trusts
Our collaboration with UT and with you, our stakeholders, not only benefits students and the Toledo community but also extends globally. Together, we advance higher education, which plays a critical role in economic development, community service, and medical initiatives. We continue to support important initiatives, shaping a vision for a brighter future and making a transformative difference in lives everywhere.
We are grateful for your foresight, your investment, and your partnership in making that difference.
Brenda S. Lee
the UT President
Dear Friends, Donors and Alumni,
I am proud to be a part of this community and am grateful for the warm welcome I have received since joining The University of Toledo on July 1, 2015 as its 17th president.
This is a strong university with an incredible potential for greatness, and with your support we continue to elevate UT on the national stage.
We have great stories to tell, such as the country’s first bachelor’s degree in disability studies that has earned national publicity and the recently established Human Trafficking and Social Justice Institute that will enhance our ongoing efforts to address this international travesty.
Additionally, for the third time in four years our student athletes have earned the highest GPA in the Mid-American Conference. Compelling student research is regularly published in leading journals, and our students receive nationally competitive awards, such as an education student who recently received a Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Germany.
One of my main goals as president is to share and build upon these successes to enhance the reputation of The University of Toledo. We will do this by investing in the academic and research core of the institution. My other goals for UT are to:
- Increase the numbers and the academic preparedness of students enrolling at UT, put programs in place to support and retain them as they take robust curricula and make sure they graduate on time.
- Recommit to increasing externally funded research, advancing scholarship and demonstrating for the world the new knowledge that we discover.
- Increase our fundraising efforts to support more student scholarships, establish endowed chairs and professorships, develop academic programs and initiatives, and fund new and renovated facilities.
- Reduce administrative costs over time to ensure a UT education remains financially accessible for students.
- In the coming months, we will begin a formal strategic planning process to develop the necessary steps to achieve these objectives and move UT forward. Your support is essential to accomplishing these goals, and I look forward to working with you to help this University reach new heights.
Thank you for your support.
Dr. Sharon L. Gaber, Ph.D., President
The University of Toledo